Sunday, October 25, 2009

Back to the Basics

The other day, the kids were off at school, I was cleaning the house and hubby was working outside in the yard. I desperately needed to go grocery shopping but it was lunchtime, so I wanted to eat before going so I didn't buy everything in sight!

I had a package of hot dogs, but no buns, so I cut them up and mixed them with a can of baked beans and wala....cheap lunch.

When hubby and I were eating, we talked about how this meal used to be a staple to us when we were first married and dirt poor. We probably ate beans and wienies once a week. Life was a lot simpler then. No kids, no mortgage, no investment properties or renters to deal with. We wouldn't give any of that up now (well maybe the mortgage if we could), but we loved our life back then. We didn't have two nickels to rub together, but we were happy all the time. Not to say we're not happy now, but responsibility can definitely take a toll.


2 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten that in a long time. I think I'll make that for lunch tomorrow. Thanks!
    theprovidentwoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree to that, although I love my life and my kiddos, I miss the simpler days! My hubby's fav was (or should I say still is) hot dogs mixed with Ramen Noodles, sounds disgusting, but it's actually pretty good, don't even think about the salt content, yuck!

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for the cabinet advice, I'll have to stop by Micahel's and see if I can find some type of greenery, ugh, you would think it to be a simple thing?!?

    ReplyDelete